Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Teaching and Cross-Disciplinary Studies


I am currently teaching as an adjunct professor at the university where I got my MFA. Teaching can be very rewarding, especially when you have students that go out of their way to acknowledge you. We are starting our meetings this week prior to beginning the semester and I found the above card in my box. It was from two of my students that I had in the fall. Both of these students were extraordinary - they worked very hard and produced exceptional work. In the card, one student wrote about how much he enjoyed the class, was appreciative of my help in furthering his design skills and wanted to thank me for taking the time to work with him one on one. This is what makes teaching so rewarding and worth all those long hours preparing.

While i was in school, I had the opportunity to study under some amazing professors. I wanted to take studio classes in different disciplines, so I took a drawing class with Annette Lawrence. She was open to me not just drawing with graphite but also using my sewing machine to draw on fabric. She was an excellent listener and gave me invaluable help to strengthen my artwork. When I had the class with her, I was just starting down my path of interpretation of the human spine, perception and strength. My work was very raw then and a little bit all over the place, but she was patient yet asked me some tough questions and gave me honest feedback. I learned a ton and still refer back to my notes from that class.


Free Paper, Installation View 1, ©Annette Lawrence at Dunn and Brown Contemporary

Annette also recommended many books to me, particularly catalogs. She said that the curator essays were often excellent and gave you a nice overview of some of the best examples of artwork in that period or style.



5 comments:

Kathy Ostman-Magnusen & Dennis Magnusen said...

ThanX for following me on Twitter- http://twitter.com/KathysArt such fun there I tend to put off getting to my art! Sheeze Louise! You have some very interesting text/images on your blog here.. stumbled ya.

Happy day! Kathy

Rebecca said...

Thanks, Kathy! I agree, Twitter can be very addicting. But I love finding new artists like you.

Deborah Paris said...

Hi Rebecca. Thanks for the follow on Twitter! I'm looking forward to reading your blog. If you're giving them away-I'd love to have Color as Field.

Rebecca said...

Thanks, Deborah. It's a great book, I'll put your name in the hat!

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

Hi! I'd love Color As Field, since I am also a huge fan of Helen Frankenthaler's work. Glad to have found your blog!