Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

A celebration

 

Today is my birthday and those of you who are artists can guess how I’ll be celebrating. I purposely planned a long weekend to take advantage of TIME -- that all elusive thing that seems to disappear when you work outside the home for long hours. I’m also spending part of tomorrow visiting some exhibits in Dallas, including Il Lee at the Crow Collection of Asian Art, the drawings of Rachel Whiteread at the Nasher Sculpture Center and the paintings of Luc Tuymans at the Dallas Museum of Art. Whew.

There will also be various dinners and lunches which I plan to take full advantage of including a free brunch offered all of their subscribers at the Blue Mesa Grill.

Jeanne Simpson has been one of the students in my pilot offering of classes, and I wanted to feature two of her homework assignments. The first one was in response to an exercise that asked my students to create an example of proximity using actual line:

Simpson 2A

The second image was in response to an assignment to explore the illusion of space:

simpson_space

I think she did a wonderful job! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, have a wonderful day soaking up these artists' works. Il Le definitely has a powerful body of work and I especially wish I could see that exhibition with you.

Terry Jarrard-Dimond said...

Happy Bday and may you have many more! Enjoy.